Finally, I’ve entered in 2018. In past year, I learned SEO thoroughly. Now I know link building is the most prominent SEO practice to execute. And it would still be remaining effective as similar as in 2017. I also got to know that SEO changes with the time. However, you’ve succeeded in 2017 by creating backlinks, guest posting and promoting your content on social media.
But there are some affordable SEO trends that you could use in 2018 to rank your page in Google.
So, today I’m going to list out 10 low-cost SEO tips that will definitely improve your ranking on Google.
I’m considering ‘affordable’ because it’s hard for beginners to find a cheap SEO specialist or company to work for them.
But I suggest you not to put money on the table for the SEO companies. Because they are not reliable. They can make you fool by any mean.
Instead, learn by yourself. This would make you more confident and you would get to know something more effective that only work for you.
Like I said, SEO changes with the time. That means the tactics that you were practising in 2017 now have become obsolete.
So, you need to replace these old SEO practices with some new techniques that are acceptable by the new generation of 2018.
The cool part is that you know these techniques. I’m just reminding you and trying to give the reason why you should use them.
By the end of this article, you’ll learn what are the best SEO trends in 2018? And how you can take benefits by following these affordable SEO techniques.
Ok, now let’s get started…
- 10 Affordable SEO Trends To Rank In Google 
- #1. Featured snippets
- #2. Mobile SEO
- #3. Voice search optimization
- #4. Content is king
- #5. AI (Artificial intelligence) and machine learning (Google algorithms)
- #6. YouTube SEO
- #7. Link building
- #8. Don’t forget other search engines
- #9. Move to HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure)
- #10. Optimize for image and video search
- Conclusion: –
- An infographic view: SEO trends in 2018
10 Affordable SEO Trends To Rank In Google 
#1. Featured snippets
This is the first SEO trend that will definitely make your site more visible on search engine.
What is a featured snippet?
When you search for some queries, Google serves selected results on the top of the page.
Here is an example of featured snippet
Google always try to increase user experience by providing the instant solution to the users. The featured snippet is also one of those features that Google use for the same purpose.
A web page that best solves user’s query. Google shows those results on the zeroth position of the first page in the search result.
This is a rectangle box that contains the URL, the title tag and a possible solution of a search query. The solution is extracted programmatically from your web page.
So, there is no doubt featured snippet could drive massive traffic to your website.
Google is so intelligent and only shows the result if the instant solution is available. You can’t mark your web page featured snippet ready.
The best thing is that Google shows the featured results twice when you search a query. That means featured snippet encourage users to click without scrolling down and significantly increase your CTR.
MOZ says that ‘if you want to get featured then increase your overall ranking’
Unfortunately, there is no such thing that could allow featured snippet on your web page. But, if you want to optimize your web page for featured snippet then you need to follow these easy SEO practices: –
- Structured data: Ahrefs found that there is no correlation between structured data and featured snippet. But optimizing your site with structure data helps your content to get the featured snippet. Because structured data makes your site’s structure more convenient for the web crawler. However, this is not always true but sometimes, Google catches your content without having any structured data. But it could provide you with an opportunity to increase the chances to get featured. (Remember that structured data is not a ranking factor)
- Rank your page in Google’s first page: According to the case study by Ahrefs, Google extracts featured a snippet from their top 10 results. They found 99.58% of the featured snippet from results that are already ranked in top 10. That means that if you want to get featured snippet your web page must be on the first page of the Google search.
- Ahrefs analyzed 2 million searches and found the following word and phrases that you could use to get featured on Google.
- Always start your discussion with questions. Means try to figure out what keyword people are going to search with.
- Use long tail keywords to make your content relevant that encourage Google’s crawlers to serve your page in the top position.
- Sometimes, Google shows you a box named ‘people also ask’ which contains some similar questions matches your query. As you click any question, more and more questions are added to that box. Using these questions could help you get featured in zeroth position.
- Try to project the user search intent. Means prepare a set of long tail keywords that people would be searching while looking for a particular solution and use them wisely.
#2. Mobile SEO
According to https://www.statista.com, 52.64% of the internet is accessed by mobile. In 2017 almost 73% population of US were actively browsing the internet using mobile. And I’m sure it would be increased in 2018.
According to statisa.com, the number of total users worldwide is expected to 5 billion by 2019. And mobile phone user penetration is expected to increase by 67% in 2019.
So, you can think of the buzz around the Mobile devices. People feel comfortable while using mobile devices rather than desktop or laptop. Because mobiles are handy and people can easily carry them in their pockets.
I wondered when Google announced ‘mobile first indexing’ in November 2016. That means if your website is not MOBILE ready you may lose a significant amount of audience. So, it is crucial to optimize your site for mobile devices.
Google mobile speed checker tool analyze these data to suggest you the better corrective steps to optimize mobile loading speed.
When it comes to mobile SEO, you should always take care of following things most: –
Responsive: To ensure your site is responsive or not make sure your document header must have the following code: <meta name=”viewport” content=”width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0″>This is the first way to make your site accessible for all devices. In responsive web designing, the server sends the same HTML code to all devices. A developer uses this tag to tell the browser how to adjust the content with all devices.
Why you should use Responsive design
- It reduces the crawl efforts because when Google bot scan your site they have to only scan your site once rather than compiling multiple times to retrieve different-2 versions of content ( When your site uses Dynamic serving site and separate URLs configuration then google crawlers crawl the separate results multiple times)
- Improve the Crawlability
- Increase the indexing rate
- There is no need to make any further redirections to match the content for all the devices
- Minimum possibilities to have some common errors like 404 error while serving content for different-2 devices.
- Like I said, Responsive design configuration uses single URL to retrieve the content for all devices. That means that user can easily share your content on social media.
- There is no need to remember multiple URLs.
- Increases page loading speed due to lack of redirections.
Dynamic serving site: In this type of configuration there is a single URL that retrieves the content for all devices but the HTML structure changes with different-2 devices. It provides the unique design for all devices. If you use this configuration you need to invest more money than responsive design. Because developer has to build code separately. Sometimes it requires ‘Vary HTTP header’ to let the browser know that different content design will be serving all devices. You can use this configuration to enhance your mobile SEO in terms of providing users best design for all devices.
Page speed: Google’s aim is to provide the fast and immediate response to the users. So your site must comply the loading speed threshold. If you site loading speed is around 3 seconds then you’re great. Otherwise, you might lose a significant amount of audience.
So make sure your site loads fast for all devices, not just caring about content.
For best information check out this source: How loading time affects bottom line
Best SEO practices that you could use to skyrocket your loading speed.
- Use a few plugins. Delete unnecessary plugins
- Install CDN to increase your loading speed (MAXCDN increase my site loading speed by 168%)
- Use a very simple and SEO optimized WordPress theme. (Best SEO optimized WordPress themes)
- Compress your images
- Never put too many ad codes. Keep them limited
#3. Voice search optimization
Voice search is the fastest growing search. Because it allows the user to search without typing. If you want to get your page in google results while searching with google voice command, you need to optimize your content for voice search.
But the question arises that how to optimize your content for voice search?
Ok, before I give you any suggestion I want to tell you that voice search is growing at a similar rate to technology. In fact, three years back voice search was not so reliable. Because there were 20% search errors and now they are just 8%.
It has been also found that there are 30% voice and visual search drive e-commerce revenue. That means marketer must optimize their content for voice search. Check out for more stats about voice search
“In many countries, including the U.S., more Google searches take place on mobile devices than on computers.”
Some new movement strategies that every marketer should use
It clearly shows you that how search engine optimizing their search with voice. And now it’s your responsibility to make it easy for search engines by publishing well-optimized voice search content.
Now, let’s come to our earlier discussion…
For optimizing your content with voice search, you can follow these affordable SEO practices…
- Try to keep your content user readable or use the natural flow pattern. I mean, your content should be matching user voice query. This could be done by just including the long tail keyword that user might speak while searching. For example, suppose you write about SEO, then you can write like this ‘what is SEO’. Because when someone searches for SEO via voice search, he would speak ‘what is SEO’ or ‘How to do SEO’ rather than only asking for SEO.
- Similar to the featured snippet, Ask the questions. If you don’t know where to find the question, you can pick some question from ‘People also ask’ box.
- Most of the time people carry their smartphone in their pocket. Whenever they find something interesting locally, they open their mobile devices and start knowing about that thing. I’m not saying that all users prefer voice search but a majority of users would like to use the voice search to find the local solution. So, focusing on local search could help you get ranked in voice search.
- Use long tail keyword for best results.
#4. Content is king
There is No doubt ‘Content is king’ and you should never underestimate the power of content. This is the only thing that always paces with the trend.
This is the very first thing that impacts your SEO the most. If you’re writing quality content you could increase your ranking in Google.
A good content can engage more and more audience without putting efforts. A user who reads your article could share your article on social media.
As you know content is everywhere either you look at social media sites or any blog/website. Without content, you can’t even imagine the existence of these sites.
So, you can’t ignore the existence of content. That means more quality you provide your content, the higher rank you will get in Google.
Marketers are investing a huge amount of money to make their content outstanding. But as a blogger, you don’t need to invest this much amount. If you’re wishing to create an insightful content then you can adopt these affordable SEO tips…
- First of all, design a layout that fits your content. You can start with a little introduction to the article.
- Separate your schedule accordingly. I mean when you start writing, you look for many variable things like finding content, optimizing content, uploading media and promoting that content. So, the best practice is to follow a routine so that you can complete your task consistently.
- Once you plan your content strategy, you’ll ready to test your drive.
- Now you can do some experiment to extract the best practices that fit your content type
- Include real facts. Because theoretical information is very common. Almost every blogger use the information. So try to include something advance statistics or case studies.
- To make your content visually appealing, add some extra image and videos.
- Never start writing without knowing what is available out there. First, find the available information and then add more and more value to create a super-powerful content.
- Last but not least, don’t forget to add a bottom line that sums up your whole content.
Like I said, design a layout. Here is a layout that I usually follow to make my content effective and compelling…·
- First of all, give a little bit information about your topic. Don’t explore everything, try to hook the audience by telling them the benefits of reading your article. ·
- How do you hook your audience? The best strategy to hook the audience is kept some secret and don’t tell them until they read your 1/4th part of the article. ·
- Your secrets might be anything related to your topic. ·
- Once you make your audience curious, give them what you have promised earlier. Never use the misleading headlines to grasp user’s attention. ·
- Link your article with some authoritative blog’s URLs. This could help users to collect the extra information regarding the article.·
- Link your own existing articles to give the more insightful meaning to your audience. ·
- Discrete your body content into small paragraphs. Because it makes your content readable and user likely to read your full article. ·
- Include useful statistic and case studies. Because this is the only thing that distinguishes your content from others. ·
- Finally, include a short paragraph of your conclusion and ask for sharing your content.
#5. AI (Artificial intelligence) and machine learning (Google algorithms)
Google always surprises the webmasters by announcing the new search algorithms. The change in algorithms significantly change the SEO trends.
Back in days, people used to manipulate the search results using some popular black hat SEO techniques. They used hiding text, keyword stuffing and cloaking etc. to tweak with search results. That time Google was unable to track these events.
Finally, they launched panda update which now takes care of all these hazardous activities. Google now knows every hazardous event that can ruin SERPs pattern.
Since 2013 Google has rolled out so many changes in their algorithms in order to avoid the major hazardous factors like content thinness, poor quality and content irrelevancy. These algorithms have changed the SEO old practices and encouraged webmasters to create the useful content.
The algorithms like Hummingbird (introduced in 2013) and Rank Brain have changed the SERPs pattern drastically. Resulting, new SEO trends of 2018 are evolved.
So, it’s better to obey their rules. Otherwise, you would never see your page on top in google.
Hummingbird filters the search results by their search intent rather than counting the keywords density. It helps Google to find the more relevant content even if there is no presence of the exact word or phrase typed by the user.
According to searchengineland.com, ‘Hummingbird uses the natural language processing that relies on LSI (latent semantic indexing) and relative words and phrases’. So there is no question for not to using the LSI and relative phrases. Because they not only increase your content relevance but also boost your rankings in Google.
On the other hand, the rank brain is an artificial machine learning system. The purpose of this algorithm is to provide the better user experience and most relevant results to the users.
However, this is very similar to Hummingbird but its process is different from hummingbird. It uses its artificial intelligence to understand the human behaviour. What people are searching for and which content they are likely to click on.
Behind the process is that, if no one clicking your results that means users aren’t finding your article relevance. This behaviour means that ‘xyz’ content is not useful for this search query. So the system captures those results and kicks those results back to the bottom.
So, the bottom line is that if you want to pace with today’s SEO trends you need to consider both keyword optimization and content relevancy. Because if you don’t do this, you might lose ranking in Google.
#6. YouTube SEO
According to Cisco study, Videos content would occupy 80% of the whole internet by 2019. This means that even if you’re running a blog/website your video presence is more prominent than other SEO trends.
Really these are overwhelming case studies which clearly shows that video optimization would be the prime concern to pace with future SEO trends.
It also means that consumption of video content is significantly increasing day by day.
Now the question is that what you should do to make your content optimized for video.
The solution to this question is to create a YouTube channel and make video content using video SEO strategies.
Next question you might ask what are the best video SEO strategies?
Then I would suggest you some tips that will help you to get your videos featured on Google and YouTube search as well.
Let’s get started…
- Optimize your text content for voice search and text search as well. And then create a video that presents your whole content.
- First, publish your video on YouTube and then place that video link to your post. This will help your audience to find your content more compelling.
- Do “video keyword research” to get your video featured on both the search engines.
- Optimize both your video transcript and text content. So that you can get better rankings. [scroll up to learn about voice optimization ]
- Use annotation to keep your audience engaged.
- Create quality videos
- Don’t forget to include a short paragraph of text in the description section.
- Optimize your video content for tags
- Make custom Thumbnails to keep your video appearance look different from others. (Using a well-optimized thumbnail can increase your engagement by 154%)
- Start your heading with focus keyword. [How to optimize title tag to increase click-through rate]
For more about YouTube SEO check out this guide: 25 tips to drive more traffic to YouTube videos
- Increase your YouTube videos for free
- Best YouTube Video ideas
- YouTube monetization network to increase your channel reach
#7. Link building
Like I said, Link building is still an affordable SEO technique to increase domain authority and traffic. Although, people buy the backlinks. But this is not a right way to create links. If Google identifies a sudden increment in backlinks then Google blacklist all those links.
There are tons of studies done by SEO specialist that shows how effective link building is. I’ve also done a little test to know what is the potential of link building technique? And how much it could impact your rankings.
The results that I found during my study…
A few link building practice that you could use for better rankings…
- Guestographics – create infographics for other bloggers and ask them to link your domain URL. This is a very effective way to get high-quality backlinks.
- Broken link building
- Guest posting
- Join Forums
However, Bing measures the link-less mentions (For example Brand name, company name) as a ranking factor. Link-less building is more effective than link building.
Attention: – 15 excellent way to get high-quality backlinks
#8. Don’t forget other search engines
As you all know that Google is a giant search engine and has occupied 78% of the market share by 2017. However, there is nothing to surprise but what about remaining 22%.
Although, Google is a market leader. But Bing, Yahoo and Baidu still hold a significant amount of market share. So if you’re ignoring these search engines you might be losing a great opportunity.
This mostly beneficial for marketers because every search engine has a different audience that might love your product & service.
#9. Move to HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure)
Google has officially announced to encourage webmasters to migrate their site from HTTP to HTTPS.
They also encourage you to upgrade your weaker HTTPS key (1024-bit) to highly secured key (2048- bit).
Backlinko.com found that HTTPS is dominating the HTTP results. It means that in future Google would prefer the HTTPS results the most. And I’m sure that this would become the essential SEO trend in future.
Google officially mentioned that if you migrate your site from HTTP to HTTPS then you’ll notice a drop in your web traffic. Because Google treats HTTPS URL as a change in URL.
If you’re planning to migrate from HTTP to HTTPS then make sure you implement these affordable SEO tips…
- Keep your HTTP certification up to date.
- Submit all versions of URLs to Google webmaster tool.
- All versions are: ‘http://www.example.com’, ‘https://example.com’, ‘http://example.com’, ‘https://example.com’
- Once you verify all those URLs, make sure you submit a sitemap of your preferred domain. In this case, your preferred domain is https://exmaple.com.
- Don’t forget to 301 redirect your http://expample.com URL to https://example.com
- Check your HTTPS version to ensure that Google bots are able to fetch all versions of URLs
- Allow indexing of your all pages
- Optimize your Robot.txt file to reduce the crawl errors (make sure you allow HTTPS site from crawling using robot.txt)
- For more HTTPS FAQs please visit the google forum
#10. Optimize for image and video search
As I’ve told you that the videos occupy 80% of the whole internet. Similarly, images are those ingredients that make your content visually appealing.
Because an image says the thousands of words. Your reader might easily catch your message and this could encourage them to keep on reading your article.
That means it increases user experience which results in an increase in SEO and rankings.
Google provides you three method for searching a query
- Image search
- Text query search
- Voice search
If your web page is optimized for all these search methods listed above Google will serve your pages on top for all searches.
But the question is that how to prepare your site for all search methods. A few tip to optimize your search for image search
- Use at least one compelling image
- Compress your image to make it load fast
- Use proper alt-tag to get your image on the top of the image search results
You can scroll up to find the solution for text query search (in ‘content is king’ section) and voice search optimization.
By doing thorough research I came across with these 10 SEO trends that you might watch in 2018.
These are affordable SEO tips that you could practice to make your site popular without paying anything.
One thing you should know that Google regularly updates their algorithm. So make sure you pace with regular SEO trend to keep your ranking constant.
I hope you would like this guide, if yes don’t forget to share it on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
An infographic view: SEO trends in 2018
Embed This Image On Your Site (copy code below):