Are you unable to download the old version of WhatsApp in android? No worries, I am here to assist you. In this guide, you will learn how you can install the old version of WhatsApp.
Before diving into the solution, let’s talk a bit about WhatsApp and try to figure out why people are moving toward the outdated version instead of the latest version?
WhatsApp was launched in 2009. It has been updating its initial version since 2009 for providing the better functionality and user experience. Recently, on 24 February 2017, a new update launched which includes a new status feature that allows the user to upload videos, GIFs and pictures within the “status panel.”
In fact, WhatsApp have introduced a cool feature, But There could be some disadvantages that’s why people don’t like it.
#1. The new status will remain only for 24 hours. Means you need to update current status everyday.
#2. The other reason is that WhatsApp is a chat messenger not like Instagram. However, this feature is already been used by Instagram and Snapchat with an overwhelming response but this is not going to work with a text messenger app.
#3. This version interrupts the chat communication and includes an unnecessary step. Which irritates the users.
#4. People are unable to see the contacts that rarely updated because “contact tab” has been replaced by “status tab”.
#5. The user unable to see the profile pictures and other profile updates.
That’s why people want to download the old version of WhatsApp to rid of this mess.
So, now let’s move on today’s topic: –
There are many ways to revert back to old version of WhatsApp. But all of them would not work for you. Here are a few hacks where you could downgrade your latest WhatsApp version.
#1. Rooting method
This method is only applicable if your Android device is on rooting mode. So before starting, you need to first root your device. This method could be risky. so, do it carefully. I recommend you to consult with a developer who can do this business for you.
Here is a guide that can help you to root your device: –
Now let’s get started
Once rooted, you are ready to follow these steps.
After installing, you might see the WhatsApp new version including WhatsApp status feature.
- Download a file manager app that can support root accessing feature. There are many apps which support root access like (file manager, total commander, file explorer, ES file explorer). You could download any of them. ES file explorer would be suitable for you. Before starting, stop the force updating of current version which is 2.17.77. For doing so, follow this trail: Settings > Apps > WhatsApp
3. Now open the file manager (ES file explorer) and enable the “root explorer” option.
Here select the read/write root path “RW”.
4. Next, go to the Local > device then click on data > com.WhatsApp > shared_prefs folder
5. In “shared_prefs” folder, find the WhatsApp preferences xml file named as( “whatsapp_preferences.xml”).
6. Once you found, click on it and look for “status_mode value = 0” line code and replace the 1 with 0. After that, click on save.
7. You have successfully removed the status panel and revert back to your older version of WhatsApp. This method surely works for you but it is little risky for non-tech users.
#2. There is another method. Sometimes it does not work but you can try it.
Delete the latest version of WhatsApp from your Android device. But make sure before deleting, take the backup of your earlier data.
Let me show you how you can take the backup of WhatsApp media and text messages.
Open your WhatsApp and click on chats > three dot icon situated at the upper right corner > settings > chats > chat back up
Once done, you can delete your WhatsApp.
Then go to Settings > Additional settings > privacy > enable unknown sources.
Now, it’s time to Download the old version of WhatsApp from here.
v2.17.60 (This could work well)
or maybe this v2.17.50
Once downloaded, install and agree with WhatsApp terms & condition. Register your mobile number. As you register, you will automatically see a backup page from which you can recover your WhatsApp data.
#3. The third method is very similar to the second one. Just open your play store and click on setting > Turn-off the auto-update apps. Rest of the process would be exactly same as the second method.
Here I have coverd three methods. However, rooting method looks a little tricky but with the help of this method you can suerly able to download the old verison of WhatsApp.
But remaning two methods require three things mainly
- Un-install the previous version.
- Downaload an old version apk file (v2.17.50, v 2.17.60, v2.17.77)
- Turn off auto updates. (Sync, play store auto updates)
- Synchronize your device’s date rage according to the previous WhatsApp version.
These are the some hacks that you could use to download WhatsApp old version for android. [Remember that these methods are only applicable for android devices]