However, WordPress is a suitable blogging platform but there are a lot of issues like WordPress login issue, admin login 404 error, plugins issue, etc. If you are a blogger then you have mostly encountered the login issue. Many times people ask this same query “I Can’t login to WordPress dashboard”
Fortunately, besides of login error, I never encountered any other issue. I am sure many of you have faced this same problem. If yes, then don’t worry, today I will show you why login issue arises and how to fix this problem.
It is very hard to tell you the exact solution. But there are a few reasons corresponding to your problem and you need to select any of them which fits you.
So, let’s get started
There are mainly 7 reasons that are responsible for this issue: –
- Unable to recognizing your password (May be due to the wrong password)
- ‘yourdomain.com/WP-admin’ is not redirected to ‘yourdomain.com/wp-login.php’ page
- Cookies & cache issue
- Due to plugin failure
- Theme failure
- Corrupted ‘WP-login.php’ file
- Window Firewall
- Site URL redirecting
These are the most common reasons that may results in trouble in WP login. For fixing this error First look at the very simple solutions. Enabling the cookies is the very simple option to first check out. But if you don’t find the solution then check another option.
Ok, now let me tell you what you exactly do to fix this error.
Steps to follow to fix the WordPress login issue
- Clear your browser’s cache & cookies
- Send the request to reset the password by clicking ‘Lost your password?’
- Type ‘yourdomain.com/WP-login.php’ into google address bar.
- Check window firewall, because sometimes it blocks you from signing in to your WordPress dashboard.
- Deactivate all plugins
- Fix the theme failure
- Verify your ‘WP-login.php’ file
- Upload a new wp-login.php file
- Edit the user table from phpMyAdmin carefully
8 Solutions To Permanently Fix This WordPress login Issue
#1. Clear your browser’s cache & cookies
Cookies are the static files which are created by the website into your browser and cache helps them to load faster than usual. If you encounter login error then first clean your browser cache and enable the cookies and then check it again.
If this works for you then you have done.
A simple guide to clean browser’s cache & cookies.
#2. Send the request to reset the password
If the first option is unable to solve the issue then try the second one. Just click on the ‘Lost your password?’. As you click on the hyperlink, you will be redirected to the WordPress lost password action page. Here you need to provide your preferable email address. After doing so, you will receive a link to your email inbox by which you can reset your password.
Now, again check your WP admin page whether it works.
#3. Type ‘Yourdomain.com/wp-login.php’ instead of ‘Yourdomain.com/wp-admin’
Generally, you find your login page by simply putting ‘yourdomain.com/wp-admin’ which is further redirected to ‘yourdomain.com/wp-login.php’ page. But sometimes it does not redirected to the require login page. In such case, replace ‘yourdomin.com/wp-admin’ with ‘yourdomain.com/wp-login.php’. However, this is not the permanent solution but you can enter into your wp-admin page and make desired changes.
#4. Disable the window firewall
Many a time you would have notice that you are unable to access an internet network. This is because firewall has blocked the network due to some kind of network attacks like Trojan horse, worms or some other network issues. Similarly, when firewall detects any issue on your network it will immediately block your request from WordPress login page.
So, disable the window firewall and try to login in to your WordPress login page.
#5. Deactivate all the plugins
Many times I found the PHP errors due to installing a new plugin. But these errors easily be fixed by just deactivating all the plugins and activating all of them again. If WordPress login-panel shows you blank page or any other PHP errors then you need to deactivate all the plugins.
There are three ways to deactivate all the plugins
- Admin panel
- By removing them from /wp-content/plugins
- From WordPress Database
Now, let’s talk about one by one.
- Deactivating plugins from admin panel
Unfortunately, at this time you can’t access your admin panel due to login errors. But if all clear, you can deactivate all of your plugins by bulk.
- By removing them from /wp-content/plugins
This could be done either by FTP or by accessing panel. You can download ‘Filezila’ and connect your sever with it or just open you cPanel and go to files and deactivate the plugins.
Steps to remove plugins form cPanel
- Login to your cPanel account. (You will have received username & password into your mail after purchasing hosting server.)
- Click on file manager
- Go to public.html file and click on wp-content folder
- Rename the ‘wp-content/ plugins/’ folder and make the changes like this ‘wp-content/pluginsdisable/
- All the plugins will be disabled immediately.
- Deactivate all the plugins from the WordPress database
However, above method is good for disabling the plugins. But you could also deactivate plugins form here. Read more
#6. Fix the theme failure issue
Rename theme active folder with the help of FTP. After renamed, WordPress will revert to use the default theme
To find out the theme failure you need to add some code written below.
<?php ini_set(‘display_errors’,’1′); ini_set(‘display_startup_errors’,’1′); error_reporting (E_ALL);include(‘index.php’); ?>
#7. Upload a new wp-login.php file
WordPress login issue may also be arises due to corrupted wp-login.php file. So, you need to upload a new login file.
But how you can upload a new wp-login.php file. For that, download the latest version of WordPress and then, download the WordPress on your computer in zip format. Now find out the wp-login.php file.
Yellow highlight color shows the new login file. You need to upload this file into your “public_html” folder. Once uploaded, you can check wp login page whether it is working or not.
If all else fails, you can also edit this login.php file and make changes as follow: –
Replace following code:
$user_login = $user_data[“user_login”];
With this code given below
$user_login = $user_data->user_login;
#8. Site URL redirecting
This happened to me when I migrated my site from WordPress to another WordPress site. During migration, the location of core WordPress site become changes which result in a login error.In wordpress > general setting, you have seen two types of URL one is Site address URL and second one is WordPress address URL. “Site address URL” is the URL that people used to search for your site. “WordPress address URL” is the address where all of your WordPress files install. That means, both URL should be exactly. There is a very simple trick that you can use to update URLs. For this, you need to go to wp-config.php file and add following code. Replace the example.com with your site URL.
There are also some other solutions that you may prefer. How to change the site URL
There are some other additional reasons that can generate the WordPress login issue. Apply these quick tips to overcome this issue.
- Try another browser to login in.
- Delete the .htaccess file form your root directory: – This file is used to set the URL redirections, instruct the bots and some other security purpose. If you find 404 errors or URL not found then you can apply this solution. sometime there is a corrupted .htaccess file which may be responsible for this error. In this case, either you can delete the existing .htaccess file or re-upload the same file after downloading it into your computer. (Note: – Before deleting this file keep a recovery of this file). Now, try to login in. if you succeed, then go inside setting > permalinks and click on save. This will generate a new .htaccess file.
- Put the same Site address URL and WordPress URL. (example: – Site address URL – http://www.example.com and WordPress address URL – http://www.example.com)
WordPress login error commonly occurs due very silly nonsense like Site URL, cache and cookies issue, corrupted wp-login.php file. I have covered 8 method to fix this error.
I am sure, if you do the same you make this issue fixed permanently.
If you have encountered a different issue that I have not mentioned here then you can share that in comment section.
If you like this article then you may also like to share it on social media sites.